Saturday, February 9, 2013

On My Easel



The last few days I have been working on a larger painting that is not finished, but I thought I would share it's progress as I complete it over the next week. This is the interior of a local cupcake shop, which is in keeping with my "Interior Views" theme for the month of February.

I typically start all of my paintings with a Burnt Sienna underpainting, working out the drawing and values. This time I used a grid, then added the drawing in paint, and lastly put in transparent blocks of color for the underpainting. I am hoping that the finished painting will result in more vibrant color and life. The inspiration for this approach came from listening to the Artists Helping Artist radio show that featured artist Hedi Moran . In the interview, Hedi describes how she lays in the underpainting with transparent colors, so I thought I would give it a shot. What do you think so far?


16" x 20"

Detail of underpainting

3 comments:

  1. yes i kinda like that approach !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very promising painting,thanks for sharing your process.I think I will try this method.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your process as you complete the preliminary sketch, underpainting and the final painting (coming soon). I really admire that you are sticking with a theme and doing several variations of these indoor settings. I think that's the way to really become skilled as an artist! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...